For many years, the octavis diagnostic amplifiers have been a mainstay in ifm efectors’ condition monitoring suite, and have been continuously upgraded to include more features with every generation of firmware and software.
Traditionally, the amplifiers took four MEMS accelerometers with two speed inputs into a FFT and a H-FFT environment so that raw signals could be pre-processed to offer protection from bearing faults and unbalance conditions, and to meet ISO standards.
It also had a small (by its current standards) history function where its diagnostic outputs could be monitored internally.
Like most technology, nothing stays the same, and the octavis VSE amplifiers are no exception. They have been upgraded over time to meet different needs, with recent upgrades catering for an increased demand for more information and better protection.
- Some notable upgrades include:
- Ability to take any accelerometer (of any IEPE rating or MEMS style) as inputs
- History memory has been upgraded to take 660,000 readings — this normally equates to around two years of on board data for every channel
and diagnosis programmed at around a 30 minute interval
- Full time waveform diagnostics are now available and can be converted to a full spectral view at the click of a button. Waveform samples can be
taken at 20, 50 or 100KHz samples depending on resolution requirements
- VSE15x models now have a Fieldbus Interface. This feature is model dependent for Ethernet IP, Profinet, and Modbus TCP, with Ethercat and Powerlink options available soon. While only some models have OPC UA ability, all models have OPC DA ability to talk directly to SCADA systems
- All models have the ability to take 4-20mA devices into six channels, so now the unit can be a monitor and controller for any system such as a pump controller or a compressor
- Flow, pressure, temperature, level and vibration can be monitored from one unit, and trending and switching each point can be done without the use of a PLC
- New diagnosis objects, in addition to unbalance and bearing wear alarms, have been created making it simple to create:
- Acceleration RMS in the time domain
- Displacement RMS in the time domain
- Acceleration peak in the time domain
- A RMS in the frequency domain
- V RMS in the frequency domain
- D RMS in the frequency domain
- Specific frequency alarms in G/mm/sec or mm
- Time waveform
- Alarm display
- Spectral views
With all of these features, the system is flexible and cost effective.
A new software suite
As usual, all of these new features from functional VES004 programming and diagnostic software are free to download after registering on the ifm website.
The octavis diagnostic amplifiers can also be used in conjunction with the new SmartObserver Software suite.
SmartObserver is a Real-Time Maintenance system that can be implemented to expand the octavis system and assist operators to get a very good handle on asset status.
SmartObserver monitors all amplifier points continuously by reading information that has been programmed into the octavis processor. This data sent by an agent in VSE amplifier is then used to create a dashboard of the exact condition of the plant. Alarms can also be emailed or sent by SMS to any staff that need to know the machines status. There is also a cloud based version available.
This partner content is brought to you by ifm. Fore more information, visit www.ifm.com/au.