Construction has begun on a new pump station in Kyabram, Victoria. The Shire of Campaspe has contracted Girdwood Contracting for the works.
Campaspe spokesperson for Roads, Cr Ian Maddison, said “construction of the new Kyabram Lake Road Pumping Station is an important project for the Kyabram community.”
“The old pump station will be replaced with a completely new autonomous pumping system for the retardation basin. This will bring peace of mind and certainty to locals when wet weather is approaching.”
“As a conduit to the local community, the Kyabram Drainage Action Committee has been kept informed of the project’s progress and will be pleased to see the project come to fruition.”
A budget of $882,500 was allocated this year. The works will include:
- Construction of new concrete pump well
- Installation of three new 400-litre/sec electric pumps to complement the existing 1,200-litre/sec diesel pump
- New pipes, manifolds, valves and fittings
- New electrical switchboard and controller housing
- New diesel fuel tank bunding
- Demolition and removal of the redundant asbestos pump shed, footings and electrical pumps
Cr Maddison said that, “the current pumps would continue to operate throughout the 22-week project.”
“Pumping capacity will be maintained throughout the construction phase to ensure there is no disruption to the service.
“Once the new pumping system is in place, Council will work closely with the contractor to ensure a smooth transition in the changeover period,” he added.