The Australian Building Codes Board (ABCB) has announced it is undertaking an out-of-cycle amendment for the 2019 edition of the National Construction Code (NCC).
The amendment will be known as NCC 2019 Amendment 1 and will include enhanced fire safety measures and provisions that contribute to some of the Building Confidence report recommendations.
The amendment will include:
- Enhanced fire safety measures for early childhood centres in high-rise buildings
- A defined term for ‘building complexity’ to be used to identify buildings for which increased supervision of design and construction is appropriate through subsequent initiatives being developed in response to recommendations of the Building Confidence report
- Provisions that set out the process to be followed, including the creation of a Performance Based Design Brief, to improve the quality and clarity of Performance Solutions for both approval and auditing purposes – this is also in response to recommendations of the Building Confidence report
- Clarification of existing concessions for low-rise Class 2 and 3 buildings
- Reference to a new Technical Specification for the permanent labelling of Aluminium Composite Panels
- Minor corrections
The public comment draft for NCC 2019 Amendment 1 has been released for public consultation. It includes proposed amendments for Volumes One and Two, the NCC Governing Requirements and common Schedules. All relevant documents can be downloaded from the ABCB’s Consultation Hub.
Interested stakeholders are invited to provide comments on the draft by 11 October 2019.