Pump Industry Australia (PIA) is pleased to introduce the print and electronic 5th edition of its Australia Pipe Friction Handbook, bringing it up to date with the latest Australian Standards for pipes and tubes that are commonly used in Australia, as well as additional corrections as required.
Containing a comprehensive manual of friction tables, calculated for pipe sizes and materials conforming to the latest Australian and international standards, it is an essential and invaluable technical resource for all engineers, designers, and users of pumps and fluid control systems.
The main changes for this edition are:
- The recalculation of the two ductile iron pipe table sets as the latest standard upgrade involved a change to many internal pipe diameters
- The addition of an extra page at the start of the commercial steel pipe tables which explains that they can be used – up 250mm N.B. – for stainless steel pipe as well as wrought steel pipe. Please note that these are the only tables in the handbook not to an Australian standard, they conform to ASME/ANSI B36:10M-2013 for wrought steel pipes and ASME/ANSI B36:19M-2013 for stainless steel pipes
The layout of the handbook is the same as the previous editions, with the book split into two sections – the first covering friction tables for the following pipes and tubes:
- Commercial steel and stainless pipe
- Large fabricated steel pipe
- Medium and heavy duty galvanised steel pipe
- Uncoated and cement lined ductile iron pipe
- Copper tube
- Brass tube
- Stainless steel tube
- Series 1 and 2 PVC pipe
- Polyethylene pipe
- Rural polyethylene pipe
- Aluminium irrigation tube
- Elastomeric rubber hose
- Concrete pipe
The second section covers how to calculate the friction loss in a wide range of pipe fittings, valves, etc., together with instructions on how to calculate a pump system total head using the tables in the first section and the fittings in section two. As well as the data on pipe fittings etc., this section has a range of tables that are useful for pump engineers.
The Australian Pipe Friction Handbook is a comprehensive, easy-to-use resource providing everything required to calculate friction losses for most commonly used pipes in Australia.
The revised and updated 5 th edition of PIA’s Australian Pipe Friction Handbook is now available for purchase via the PIA website at https://pumps.org.au/publications/.